Sunday, August 5, 2012

Two Songs by Al Godwin (from Folks Magazine)


TWO SONGS BY AL GOODWIN - ALWAYS YOU AND ONCE IN MY LIFE
The Folk at the Pitts club held a songwriting competition. Al Goodwin's Always You was the winner and the music / tabs were published in Folks Issue 7 May / June 1979. According to Folks  - "Al Goodwin - a talented singer and writer of ballads, was a regular visitor to Folk at the Pitts. His most popular songs include Golden Fleece, Mr Watt and Humphrey the Spider - written to prevent children being scared of spiders."






The following are comments transferred from the original Hobo site on Vox.

1. Martin from Al's band Nic Lightnin (early 80's) would love to hear any news about Al.

2. If anybody knows where Al Goodwin is now - Martin who used to be in his Coventry band Nic Lightening would be pleased to hear of / from him. If you have any info - leave comment or message Hobo and we'll pass it on.

Ed - Note the connection with Martin has been lost owing  to Vox blogs closing down.

3. Hello again, Martin here - You mentioned that you are able to add more details to my post regarding
information about Al, I was a bit silly not to provide more info at the time. As there is no edit button, I would be grateful if you could do that for me. 

Al had wrote a couple of rock operas, I think the first one was a learning process, and I didn't hear too many of the songs from that, but the latter, we gigged a lot of the songs, it was about time travel and featured a "Dr W. Downs" who had a "mirrored sphere" . The band was called Nic Light'nin after another character
from the opera.  Al's vocals were amazing.. people would look up and do a double take when he started to sing as his voice was spot on and very powerful.  We were very much the backing for Al, and looking back, I think the idea of the band was to take the songs out of the folk arena and into the more contemporary rock audience, which on a very small scale, we did do around the Coventry bars of 1981/2 . I think we made some good music and I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who knows of Al and his music and can enlighten me as to what he got up to later on, as I moved out of Cov and back up to North Wales and lost touch.

Broadgate Gnome
4. Ah1 , now a bit  of a distant bell rings there. I heard about this and may have even met him. Around that time I was auditioning in Coventry (in an old theatre place, up the road behind the Odeon)  One of the people was called I think Mark?, who was a singer but wanted to move into acting.  ( he actually got the leading role, and after touring with us( a dubious experience)  had his own review slot on a channel 4 music show.) he told me about something very similar and may have been involved in it. More may come to me.
Dave
Posted by: Broadgate Gnome | 04/30/2007 at 07:37 PM




No comments:

Post a Comment